Monday, March 26, 2012

Sinking Into Phoenix Mode


Tomorrow is the last day in Portland before I leave to Spain.

I have a to do list, which I have just discovered includes finding a veterinarian to put down my best dog on this earth, Frawley Lumpkins.


For 14 years Frawley has been a source of light and healing to everyone he has wagged at. He literally spooned me in his paws when I returned exhausted and lost from a traumatizing trip to Bangkok in my early 20's. He showed me what it is to take life as it comes with a smile and a willing spirit.

The day before an adventure and challenge of a lifetime begins, I am going to be holding space for one of my best friends to journey into the eternal Land of Steak and Bread.

I watch him breathe and dream and try to imagine him free of crippling arthritis and aching bones. Will and I place our hands on him and send Reiki and blessings to him into the night. Be at peace dear traveller, you have done everything you need to do for us. Run free. It is alright to move over the threshold.

I said I wanted life raw and full. That I wanted the spectrum and proof that the universe is indeed colluding to bring about the dreams of one's heart. This has a place at the table. To have the opportunity to witness transition and stand in the flow of change with the heart open and the arms wide.

If the last gift I can give this companion is an easy and loving passage, I will do the best I can. Even though I miss him already, surely he will not entirely leave.

As Will said, "Maybe this is the way he can walk the trail with you."

My spirit guide dog.

1 comment:

  1. I'm so sorry to hear about your dear friend coming to the end of his journey. The loss of our animal companions can be one the hardest burdens this life has to offer.

    When my cat -- who had been in my life since I was 14 -- came to his last days just before a travel adventure of my own, a friend made a similar comment to me. Free of his body, my feline friend could, in his way, accompany me along my journey.

    ReplyDelete