Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Planes go kaput and we go on strike!


In Amsterdam, after puking up my guts due to 9 hours of intense pressure on my tenuous sinuses and the ensuing vertigo that followed, I am sitting on a plane bound for Barcelona next to a hot Dutch man, and desperately trying not to toss my cookies again.

Now, the puking doesn´t bother me so much, in fact, it´s rather nostalgic. What DOES bother me though, is that I might get pieces of whatever it was I last ate on some stranger.

Then, over the loudspeaker, rich with sprekens and schlassy sounding words, the flight attendant announces that one of the important parts of the wings is not functioning and we´ll have to sit tight for a minute. Or 30.



All of a sudden, we´re being transferred to a new plane...no wait, they can´t get the door open on the people mover!...we´re running to the new terminal!...hold on, we´re waiting for the crew to get here!...

This is all well and good. But my good pal Pau is waiting for me in Barcelona and I´m pretty sure he´s got things to do. Nothing to do though except finally cave to the Tylenol PM stashed in my pocket and pray it helps the sinuses this time so I can arrive freshly un-vomity.

Heh. An hour in, they deliver sandwhiches and I run to the lav to heave the last vestiges of nutrition out of my guts. But like I said, I don´t mind this. I´m just glad for a cool surface to lay my head on. And come on, I mean, this is the stuff that LEGENDARY travel stories are made of, so even though I might die from dehydration due to puking, it´s going to be memorable.


I finally arrive in Barcelona several hours behind schedule and Pau is waiting for me, bless his frantic little heart. He drives me through the sunny streets of Barcelona, telling me that one of our activities for tomorrow will be to go on strike against the unions!

His flat is crammed full of sketches for his new book, a piano and a FLAMENCO GUITAR. (ok, we knew i might never come back....who would want to, from something like THIS!_!)

And now, here I sit, plinking away on his Mac as he has to teach his English classes, trying to decipher which combination of keys will allow me to access the @ symbol (got it) on a Spanish keyboard.

Life is starting to get the rocky goodness back in it...or it might be jet lag. Either way, it´s rising and falling like no one´s business and I wouldn´t have it any other way. Now for a quick shower, nap, and photo expedition.

3 comments:

  1. Glad you made it to Spain! The adventure begins.....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pukers! Way to be THAT person on the plane. -wink
    This is an epic start. Keep it coming.

    ReplyDelete