Thursday, March 29, 2012

On Phones and Terrorists and Artists


This man is neither phone nor terrorist. He is an artist named Pau who is also my host in Barcelona and is doing his first writer-painter book on Gaudi. Meaning, he is writing it AND doing all the artwork. It is very impressive.

The phone/terrorist thing is our morning adventure which starts with us going to a local corner store/internet cafe to get a SIM card for his old phone so I can call friends and family from Espana.

We get there, the guy is multi-tasking to beat the band...he takes my passport to get the details switched over to the new sim card, all the while answering two phones, taking money from customers, finding a charger for Pau´s phone and placing fast food orders.

He calmly announces that the sim card won´t work and that we´d be better off going to a mobile store and getting a cheap phone. But not today because today is, that´s right!, STRIKE day!

We see the piccetas tossing over dumpsters and hollering phrases that probably mean, "Down with the man" as I eat my fruit salad on Pau´s balcony. The helicopters are hovering in the air above the central meeting place, and the world keeps turning.

Imagine having people in the US who made it their job to check in on the solidarity of the strike efforts...to the tune of harassing shop keepers to close etc. Most of the shops are closed, but some have pulled their covers down half way to show sympathy if not total support.

Anyhow, point is, multi-tasking dude now has my passport info so if I get stuck in Amsterdam under suspicion for being part of some terrorist cell. This is why.

3 comments:

  1. The adventure continues! Love you, Honey! Momma oxox

    ReplyDelete
  2. Let us cross our fingers that Interpol won't waterboard you in some secret room at the airport.

    Your friend Pau has very kind eyes, and heaps of artistic talent!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the image of you watching riots while eating fruit salad on the lanai. It's giving me a good chuckle.

    Oh, and if you need a bailout, terrorist sister, just ignite the Mathi signal in the sky. I've been working on my ninja and parkour skills. I'm ready to move out at a moment's notice.

    ReplyDelete