Wednesday, May 23, 2012

The World's Most Expensive Sunscreen and other useful lessons...


Yesterday I went for a pleasant bike ride to become acquainted with my new country.  On my bicycle and in a skirt, I sailed over the roads, merrily clicking through my three gears, praising the gently rolling Danish countryside with smiles and rings of my bell. 

And then the wanderlust kicked in.  It whispered in my ear seductive things like, "You could TOTALLY ride another 21 kilometers and still make it home in time to meet Tobi."  I knew this was untrue in my brain, but my camino legs had other ideas.  They pumped the pedals furiously and joyously...I was being hijacked by my explorer's ambition.

Thank goodness I remembered I had not put on sunscreen at the same time I saw a giant windmill on the near horizon.  Suddenly I was seized by the need to TAKE A PHOTO OF THAT WINDMILL UP CLOSE RIGHT NOW NOW NOW.  Touristmania had me in its clutches, so I rode towards the mill, stopping at a shop that seemed to spell a word resembling Apothecary.  They had sunscreen. Hooray!

The current conversion rate of Danish Kroner to American dollars is about 5 or 6 to 1....The cheapest price I found for sunscreen was oh....109 kroner...I knew this was alot, but my brain was obsessed with windmills and I couldn't do the quick math until I walked out of the store with my sunscreen, a small bottle of hand lotion, and a receipt proving that I spent 200 Kroner on two items smaller than a bottle of shampoo.


Do the math like I should have.

This is going to be the best sunscreen I have ever met.

Less than an hour later, I had a bag of fresh vegetables for about 70DKK and knew that it is possible to purchase sunscreen for about 85DKK.

Lesson learned.

 Oh yes, and the wind mill was for sale.

The telephone number is: 86 10 28 28

Want.

No comments:

Post a Comment