Thursday, May 24, 2012

Denmark's National Obsession-Tights

Danes LOVE tights.  Mind you, this is not the colorful legwear that fashionable women of all ages like to sport.  This is much more serious.  We're talking athletic tights, or as Americans might know them, Spandex. (Pardon the lack of copyright symbol, my Danish keyboard does not believe in such type options)

The thing is, everyone has a pair. Or five.  Tobi and I spent a great deal of time on the Camino discussing proper tight ethics...who should wear them, who should not, the grave realities of how tights behave in the mirror vs. when in full flight.  I thought he was extremely well versed in Tightology and now I know why. No one is immune to the power of Lycra.

Along with a cultural predisposition to beer, happiness, and bicycles, Danes are not complete without their supportive athletic trousers. The young wear them, the old wear them.  People who have no business walking NEAR figure hugging material wear them.   Obviously this is a newer phenomena, and one can only wonder if it will last.  The fact that most Danes tend to be health conscious, tall, and scandalously attractive, makes me somewhat hope that it will, despite the occasional transgression.

Still, I'm going to be keeping track here, like I did in Jerez around Flamenco dresses. Not all tights or the under-garments they are worn with, are created equal.

I am determined to find the best and the worst of this national costume.
It's going to be awesome.


No comments:

Post a Comment